About Chef Nicolas D. van der Walt
Chef Nicolas van der Walt started cooking and playing with food at the tender age of 12, as a typical farm-boy. Nicolas soon made headlines as one of the most promising pastry chefs in the world by entering numerous competitions and promoting the art of pastry by becoming a leader in the art of sugar and chocolate craft.
Herewith a short version of achievements and a brief track-record of Nicolas’ experiences both locally and abroad:
- 2 Year, in house training program at the Protea Hotel Bloemfontein
- Management diploma – Central University of Technology, Free State
- 2 Years working at the Park Hyatt Hotel, Rosebank under acclaimed executive pastry chef, Linda Kotze
- Selected as pastry chef for the junior national culinary team of South Africa
- Competed at the World Championships, Maastricht, Holland in 2001 and won a gold medal. Also Nicolas was awarded the most promising pastry chef in the world
- Graced the Savoy Hotel, London, UK
- Opened a fine dining experience restaurant, @ The Square in the arty town of Clarens in the Free State
- 2 Years as executive pastry chef at the Michelangelo Hotel, Sandton
- 3 ½ years as executive pastry chef at the Saxon Boutique Hotel and Spa, Sandhurst, Johannesburg
- Competed in the Salon Culinaire in 2007, first and second place achieved in the showpiece section.
- Advisory pastry chef of the Castle Kyalami Hotel, Johannesburg
- Program Director and co – owner of the FBI Chef school and Patisserie Academy.